1. Name and Surname:
3. Where were you born?
4. Where did you grow up as a child?
Johannesburg, Cape Town, Maidenhead in the UK
5. Where did you go to school?
Rand Park Primary then Rand Park High
6. Did you go to University/College, if so which University/College and what did you study?
Yes, I am currently studying a BBA at IMM. This is a business marketing degree.
7. What other jobs do you do, other than being a professional mountain bike cyclist?
I only cycle and study…so living the fine life!
8. Your favourite route?
On the road bike, I love riding Franshoek pass and then on the mountain bike I love the Garden Route Trail Park close to where my parents stay in Knysna.
9. Do you have any rituals that you do before a race to stay focused?
I always get all my stuff organised in such a way to be as time efficient the morning of the race as I am a big fan of sleep, so to maximise that means streamlining my routine.
10. What is your diet like?
Lots of chicken, avocado, potatoes. Generally, I eat whatever is put in front of me except fast food. And I stay away as much as possible from processed foods and wheat.
11. What is your biggest accomplishment in MTB?
Winning SA champs as a Junior.
12. What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
I treat rides exactly how they are planned. If they are meant to be at pace or a very slow recovery ride, then that is exactly what I do. And then when it comes to intervals I give it my everything. Treat training like you are at a stage race, everyone comes away from stage racing very strong so imagine if you could make your training that good all the time!
13. Please list your achievements / awards / trophy summary.
– 2 x SA junior marathon champ
– African continental cross country champ
– XCO Half marathon National Series winner
– XCO Gauteng provincial champ
– XCO Western Cape provincial champ
– Western Cape Provincial Marathon champ
– Chosen to represent SA in the XCO World champs in 2013
14. What would be your ultimate achievement?
Winning world champs!
15. What was the best advice you were ever given?
It’s not about winning, it’s about the struggle. As long as you have given your best in training and in the race then you will win in your own mind.
16. Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
“It always seems impossible until it is done”- Nelson Mandela